DIRECTOR OF ESTATE OPERATIONS
We are seeking a highly experienced Director of Estate Operations who will take full charge of all of the principal’s properties across North America. The successful candidate has previous management experience with high-end residences and supporting staff. This individual will have 360° oversight for the overall care and maintenance of the homes, development of household systems, procedures and protocols, developing and managing staff, ensuring consistent service levels for all residences, and managing capital projects and household budgets. This individual will also work closely with architects, designers, contractors, AV/IT integrators and numerous other service vendors.
- Partner with Chief of Staff to assume final responsibility for the operations of all properties, providing the highest level of user experience at all times.
- Act as single point of contact for principal.
RESIDENCE MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE
- Oversee House Managers to develop and maintain schedule of operational checks and housekeeping to be performed on weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual and seasonal basis. Monitor, schedule and ensure planned cleaning for each property.
- Work with the House Managers to understand and ensure proper functionality and documentation of the operation, repair, warranties, and routine maintenance required for the following systems: electrical, HVAC, security, plumbing, and appliances across the portfolio.
- Understand and ensure proper functionality and documentation of the operation, repair, warranties, and routine maintenance required for all technology systems in the residences.
- Develop and deploy systems and processes for movement and care of museum quality works of art, including interaction with staff, property guidelines and operational efficiencies.
- Responsible for installation, functionality, maintenance and upgrades of all emergency protocols, security and life safety systems and equipment.
- Build and maintain a close relationship with all team members, encouraging open dialogue and engagement.
- Provide coaching and support resource to all staff.
- Train and oversee staff to implement the highest of standards at all residences.
- Work with staff members to set priorities for their specific positions (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual and seasonal duties).
- Coordinate schedule and time off requests.
- Constantly communicate with property managers and external stakeholders to be aware of all activities happening within the residences.
- Build and regularly analyze operational plan for the portfolio. Propose improvements where needed, including assessing staff levels, position duties and responsibilities.
- Work with the Chief of Staff to draft position descriptions, launch personnel searches, establish the interview process and provide final recommendation of hire.
- Create and implement a comprehensive onboarding and training program to include new hire orientation, protocol & procedure training, and specialized skill training to enhance job performance.
- Maintain appropriate staffing for all homes including managing time off requests, hiring full time employees, hiring contractors, etc.
FINANCIAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff to prepare and track an annual budget for each of the residences. This includes opex & capex budgeting, plus the organizational structure of staffing.
- Responsible for managing the following items at each residence:
- Household related expenditures
- Proper documentation and submission of house credit card purchases and receipts; reconcile appropriately with household budget
FAMILY SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and coordinate personal care program and staff for principal’s parent.
- Schedule a quarterly meeting with the principal and Chief of Staff to monitor his feedback and personal preferences as well as provide a deep dive on any requested areas. Communicate relevant feedback and directives to appropriate staff members as needed.
- Ensure that properties are properly prepared and ready for occupancy at all times.
- Travel on a regular basis between properties for hands-on oversight of residences, jurisdictional review, project management and relationship development with and training of staff.
- Creation and oversight of all processes and procedures to ensure efficiency across all entities and extended family needs.
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to create and execute on a capital improvement list per property, establishing priorities, timelines, plans and project teams.
- Work alongside the Chief of Staff on new construction and renovation projects, ensuring the principal’s interests are represented, assisting with team coordination towards achievement of the common goal within project scope and budget for design, construction and operational processes.
- Partner with the Chief of Staff to work closely with insurance brokers to establish and maintain accurate coverage for the portfolio including current homes, construction projects, lots, vehicles, and high value non-art items.
- Develop strong relationships with vendors and suppliers to ensure premium service standards while thoughtfully pursuing cost discounts where possible.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTER SKETCH
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Possess at least 7-10 years relevant work experience in a private home.
- Outstanding verifiable references.
- Understands that the utmost in confidentiality and discretion are required.
- Proactive and anticipatory, with a service heart; a flexible self-starter who is willing to pitch in.
- Skilled executor, with good judgment; able to discern when to escalate a problem or question and when to resolve independently.
- Flexibility to work outside of strict job description parameters, thinking creatively about how to provide highest quality internal customer service.
- Process-oriented; enjoys developing and implementing systems and documents.
- Strong analytic, communication, and change management skills.
- Able to build rapport and credibility quickly with principals, staff, the corporate office, and vendors.
- Able to communicate effectively and readily with the principal.
- Willing to perform any other duties as may be requested.
- Must be highly tech savvy, specifically with project management software like Asana.
If you’re interested in exploring this opportunity, please send your resume to Alexa Gulliford at email@example.com.